Currently, as a member of International Union of Elevator Constructors, if you were to become disabled due to an accident, injury, or illness, off the job, you will receive $500 per week from the IUEC sickness benefit. This benefit is received for only 26 weeks.
The IUEC Supplemental Disability Benefit Plan that is being offered by Group Benefit Associates will provide a benefit that will be paid to you in-addition to the Sickness Benefit. As you are aware, it is simply not possible to pay your bills on just the sickness benefit you currently receive.
Some Questions to Think About
- Could you afford to take a six-month vacation? If you can’t, do you think you could afford living through a six-month illness or injury?
- How would you and your family pay your bills without your income?
- How long would your savings last if you were unable to work because of an illness or accident and your income stopped?
- If you were sick or injured in an accident today, would your family’s standard of living be affected?
- What impact would a long-term illness or injury have on your ability to save for retirement?